BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Self Assessment/Skill Areas

For three out of the four years I was in high school, I participated in a program called "Peer Tutoring," which involved students working with other students who were part of the special education program.  Not to this day has anything had a greater influence on my life.  Yes, I did expand certain skills during this time such as planning and organizing events for the students, but the greatest so-called skill I developed after working with these students is respect, I respected them and to these students it was everything in the world to feel this respect. Every since the beginning of my college career I have been able to work part-time (usually no less than 20 hours a week) and maintain a high grade point average of 3.95, this alone should show to others that I am self-disciplined, I have a great work ethic, and that I keep my priorities in line.
While being a self-employed personal trainer, I had to develop exercise routines for people of all shapes and sizes, this allowed me to develop assessment skills such as what the client is able to do and their readiness for change.  Working at First Baptist Church of Knoxville exposed me to a more diverse group of individuals, I was working daily with individuals of different nationalities and others who had conditions such as deafness.  This allowed me to see how communication is such an important skill to have, not in just speech, but in the way you carry yourself and your respect for other cultures.  Since working at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center in the dietetics department I have been able to help plan and organize a new program that is called Essence Patient Dining Services where we cater to the women services department.  Part of the planning involved developing an appropriate menu for the patients and a system that would respond to their requests in an appropriate amount of time.  Being able to multi-task is an essential key to my position there, as I have to modify diets if needed, help prepare the food, deliver the food, and make sure everything is ready for the person working the next shift.  Communication skills are also stressed as my manager will frequently ask for my opinions and encourages me to provide any feedback when I think it is needed.  As being the employee who has held the Essence Patient Dining Services position the longest, I am the one who trains other employees on the position.  This position at FSRMC has also allowed me to put the tools that I have acquired at school to use such as the proper handling of food, knowing about food allergies, and also knowing how to respond if someone has a certain nutrient deficiency.
Each of the jobs or programs that I have been a part of in some way details a certain degree of customer service, which has allowed me to come across certain situations, some good and some bad, but developed my ability to address these situations quickly and usually effectively.